Team 155 Quang Tri

MACV Team 155 – Quang Tri.

This Page is intended for the discussion of the Military Assistance Command Vietnam Team 155 located in Quang Tri.

32 thoughts on “Team 155 Quang Tri

  1. Anyone remember USMC lieutenant Bill Cowan? He ran the Chieu Hoi training program in Quang Tri, early part of 1968. I used to visit him there from time to time, and he kept us (3rd Recon Bn) supplied with Chieu Hoi’s who, for the most part, did excellent work.

  2. Matt:
    I’ve replied twice to your note and each time they’ve gone into the unknown. I’d be delighted to speak with you. Please contact me at 253-376-5386 or
    Semper Fi.

  3. I was MACV Assigned to the 25th Division AO,early Oct 68, trained Target Aqusition, Air assault. Army training with Marines at Ft Sill.
    No team assignment, but was assigned communications, served in the 25thID AWCC, (Air Warning Control Center)
    This was at first a MACV, concept to improve air safety, but consequently evolved into a much larger involvement, to include all artillery fireing missions, all bombing missions, Eagle Flights, Medevacts, all resupply missions,convoy cover,,, and many other missions to numerous to mention.
    I am really amazed at the coverage MACV, put into play in the Vietnam Theatre.
    I would like to add, my appreciation to all of you in your endeavors, as well as the four guys that dedicated themselves to the 24/7 coverage and coordination of the massive at times challenges that really kept all involved to the max.
    Let it be known our hearts and minds were completely involved with every mission.

  4. Certainly…I remember you wearing your steel pot backwards.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda kept a journal/diary to know what memories are real. Time and age has its affects. Usually, if I have doubts, I bounce it off of Zero’s head for confirmation.
    After extraction and the team relocating to Freedom Hill, I went home on special leave (extended my tour). When I returned 5 or 6 weeks later, my slot was cut. I was assigned to 525 M.I. Grp, Camp Alpha. Remained there thru March ’73. Finished my enlistment as an instructor at the Signal School, Ft. Gordon.

  5. I served in Camp Evans in 1972 until the peace treaty was signed. We operated a radar that could pick out moving targets, people, tanks, vehicles and so forth. I had a stroke in 1999 my memory eludes me. Captain Nanny was our commander. I served under MACV. If anyone can help me remember those days I would appreciate it. Specialist 4 Bill Lundy. Any help would be appreciated.

    • Billy:
      I was at Evans as the ANGLICO team lead for the 2d Airborne Brigade when the radar was first established. We had no idea who or what about it! The radar lead was a army captain named Jack Jollesainte (spelling probably off a bit) and he came to the 2d Bde TOC and asked if he could set up on the recondo tower. No problem with us; outside our wire. After all was set up one of the TOC members came to us and showed us that the radar team had erected a USAF parachute near the base of the tower and were lounging around on folding chairs. As I went into the TOC to call on the AN/GR-39 to tell them that we’d been taking incoming every day since we’d been there I heard a number of arty tubes start to shoot and, sure enough, the orange and white parachute was the aiming point. Needless to say the chute came down immediately!

      But enough humor. We used the radar with great success once we figured out what it was capable of detecting. That epiphany occurred for me when the radar operator held the AN/GR-39 to the radar speaker and I could hear tracked vehicles clanking, truck engines running and NVA talking! I was above astonished when I heard that and afterwards we collaborated on missions and did some real damage out close to the Au Shau Valley. We were at Evans from 22 May until around 28 June 1972 and moved north when Lam Son 72 started up.

  6. Sean, Twice I’ve written a response and twice it has disappeared just as I was getting ready to send it.
    If you give me an e-mail address, I’ll try again, but I really don’t have any thing specifically about the day of the evacuation.

  7. Can someone who was with MACV Team 15 or 155 please email. I have a person who is claiming to have served “with valor” as a Marine with you gents. His story is horrible and he seems to have zero proof of service. DD214 does not show service or his awards with Valor attachment. I can be reached at

    Thanks and S/F
    US Marine Corps Vet

  8. We are searching for an American who carried a wounded NVA soldier to the aid station. This would have been during the 1972 Easter Offensive. A friend is originally from Haiphong and tells us that her dad talks about being saved by the American frequently. They think the American’s name may be Willaim or Williams. Thanks, Clyde Lewandowski

    • Clyde, I may have been the person you are seeking my Name is Thomas Williamson I was the Navy Corpsman assigned to sub unit one !st ANGLICO, FMF I had been treating both RVN &NVA wounded and carrying a number to the aid station prior to evacuation.

      • Mr. Williamson. Loan is the daughter of the NVA soldier who was wounded. We are going to her home for dinner Sunday. I hope it is acceptable with you if I share your message with them.

        Coincidentally I was assigned to an army artillery unit in Quang Tri province in 1968.

        Clyde Lewandowski

  9. Sad to report that SFC William T Brown (Brownie) passed away recently from cardiac and pneumonia complications. Per his family he received a full military funeral. We’ve lost another good man.

  10. I am doing some research for my mom to get a better idea of where and maybe some better details of the situation surrounding my fathers death. Perhaps someone here can help. The national archive records show his death to have been
    in Binh Dinh and M2 for the conflict zone. We are sure he was an advisor but not sure if the archive records are correct as they list his unit as ADV TM 22 MACV. My mother says his letters said his orders had been changed after arrival in Siagon. He was going to Quang Tri provence to relieve an Army Capt. Riley who had lost his Lt. His condolense letter stated he was killed in an attack in the area known as An Lo. His body was taken to Quang Tri city for a rites service and transfer to the states. He mentions he would be heading towards an ARVN unit @ PK-17. She recalls that and Army Maj. JJ Turner was in communication with him during the inital attack. Also remembers the mention of a Lt. Col. WP Smith but does not remember his service affiliation. I think it was something on the order of 40 hrs from his leaving Siagon to his death on Dec. 10, 1966.
    His name was USMC Capt. JG Mixson. He was postumously given the rank of Maj. I have found some information that even today shows an area called Ap an Lo, not far from a bridge on Hwy 1 call the An Lo bridge. Further PK-17 was north of that bridge. We think the Binh Dinh mistake is due to an An Loa district in Binh Dinh province. We are not sure if his death occured on his way to Quang Tri province or if he was actually there. He was with Capt. Riley, who survived the attack, and an unknown enlisted man. The rest were ARVN. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you all for your service….

    • Mark, MACV Team 155 didn’t come on line until 1971. If your father was KIA in 1966 Team 155 members would have no recollection of him unless by coincidence from a prior tour which is unlikely.

  11. A slightly more detailed summary of my time with MACV 155,
    I spent my first RVN tour in ‘66 as an Infantry rifle platoon leader, deploying from Hawaii with the 25th Infantry Division. But I had changed branches to Ordnance so I volunteered to go back in ’72 rather than go to Korea. I remember telling my wife, “Don’t worry, I’ll be in some air conditioned office in Saigon”.
    I arrived at Team 155 around 15 January assigned as the senior maintenance advisor working for MAJ Andy Seremeth. When the Easter Offensive started the G3 advisor, LTC Lozier, shanghaied me on the 4th of April to be the tactical operations center advisor because I wore a CIB.
    It was gut wrenching to work in the TOC and watch the situation slowly deteriorate out of our control until the Jolly Green extraction. Without that extraction, we had already organized into small groups to E&E to the coast hoping for a Navy extraction. I remained in the TOC job till the 7th of August when I went back to the maintenance advisor job till the 9th of November when my slot was cut. I thought, “Great, I’ll get a 2 month drop!” Wrong, I was reassigned to the Combined Material Exploitation Command (CMEC) in Saigon working for Maj Bill Benson till I left country December 22nd.

  12. Arrived at Tm 155 o/a Sep’71, left Oct ’72. Was part of the Jolly Green Extraction from Q C. BG Giah(sp) and some of his staff were also on the Jolly that got us out.

  13. Gordon Morton.
    Arrived in Q.T. in Sept ’71. Worked for Maj. John Neary as commcenter (w/Kenneth Anderson), and MARS operator. I was reassigned to Camp Alpha in Nov ’72. when the Team strength was cut back.

  14. Assigned Team 155 Oct ’71-Oct ’72 assigned to G3. Worked for Major James Davis and SFC William Seymour. Team locations: Quang Tri, Phu Bai, Da Nang. Team was assigned as advisors for 3d ARVN Div.

  15. Arrived at tm155 o/a 15 Jan ’72 remained with them till 9 Nov ’72, including the Jolly Green extraction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s